What do you do?
She is weighing her options. You also have a choice to make. What are your responsibilities? How should you help? You have a lot to think about.
An unintended pregnancy involves challenging decisions that affect you and those close to you for the rest of your life. As a guy who is the father of this baby, you are not only involved, but you will be affected by the decisions that are before you.
Help with parenting? Get married? Consider an adoption plan? Abortion? All of these options have trials and consequences. Your WHC peer counselor will give you the resources and information you need to help both of you through this decision.
Pregnancy Centers are not just for women. Our services include you. Learn your options. Making an appointment at Women’s Health Clinic gives you the chance to work through the questions you have with helpful information from a peer counselor. Find support as you consider how to handle this situation. Having someone to talk to will help you be strong for yourself and your girlfriend.
- Listen. This situation is difficult for both of you – you have a big decision to make. Don’t rush her or pressure her. Listen to how she is feeling and keep the lines of communication open between the two of you. Don’t shut her out. Be there for her.
- Stay calm. She needs your support now more than ever. She may be the one who is pregnant but you have both brought a new life into existence. Regardless of where the future of your relationship lies, you are responsible for this pregnancy too.
- Talk about it. Talk to your girlfriend about how you are feeling and what you think. Talk to adults that you trust and people who will support you. Seek good advice. Be honest.
- Get all the facts. Gather all of the information you can so that you can make your best choice. Make sure that you are knowledgeable about every choice with its pros and cons. Make sure that your girlfriend is making an informed decision that is safe for her.
- Bail. Running away will not make this situation easier for either of you.
- Pressure her. You may have different opinions about the path that you should take. It may not be easy, but your goal should be to work together to come to the best decision for everyone.
How We Can Help
What are your responsibilities? Your choices? Who has your back? Women’s Health Clinic can help you think through your choices, offer the information and support you need, and give you referrals to other places that can help. We truly care about you and your situation. Let us help you as much as we can.